Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hump Day Hitslist: Exams and Xmas

It's that time of year again. When the crunch of exams and paper deadlines turn my diet into a test case for Super Size Me 2: The Fattening, and I can feel my heart gulp helplessly for air through my ribcage as it drowns in a swamp of stress and despair. Fortunately, this is the last time I will be facing this masochistic ritual, and I can start rebuilding my relationship with the months of December and April in the coming years. I must apologize to our readers, however, that the volume of posts has recently slowed, and can only assure you that once I have finished slaving over my independent study that I paid other people thousands of dollars for the right to do, I will return my efforts full force to more important things like writing about the great misconception that The Clash "sold out" on Combat Rock.

In the meantime, finger on the steam presents you with a playlist that has been getting me through first semester exam period for the past few years. It's full of warmth, holiday cheer, and snow globe wonderment--all of the things necessary for justifying your rum and egg nog habit while you plow through your work in the early onset of winter.



1. Feist - "So Sorry"

2. Sam Cooke - "You Were Made For Me"

3. The Drifters - "White Christmas"

4. Fleet Foxes - "White Winter Hymnal"

5. Johnny Mercer & Margaret Whiting - "Baby, It's Cold Outside"

2 comments:

  1. Great list, but "Baby It's Cold Outside" has always made me feel really uncomfortable - like it's one verse short of explaining how he roofied her eggnog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naw, you got it all wrong!! :) She's talking about how much fun she's having but there's all these other people she has to keep up appearances for: "My sister will be suspicious"; "my maiden aunt's mind is vicious"; "There's bound to be talk tomorrow". But she likes what's going on: "This welcome has been, so nice and warm"; "you've really been grand". And then she agrees with him on the chorus "Ahh, but it's cold outside" and stays.

    I think in the end it's implied that she does leave. But I can agree that "Baby, don't hold out!" is a straight up booty call on his part. No shame.

    In any event, no one can deny the charm of "Well, maybe just half a drink more", "Put some records on while I pour".

    I should do a list at some point that outlines songs with near-sexual assault lyrics in them. Like Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On, with "I won't push you baby", followed immediately with the command "stop beatin' round the bush!"

    Or how about Inner Circle's Sweat Song, where they lay down this gem: "Girl I want to make you sweat
    sweat till you can't sweat no more
    and if you cry out
    I'm gonna push it some more, more "

    Sure, we could accept that she's crying out in pleasure, but one never knows...

    ReplyDelete